Are you a Pinoy Blogger? Get featured as a Nostalgia Bloggista! Not only are you sharing your wonderful memories of the '70s and '80s, but you also get a free link back! This is a great way to introduce your blog and get a lot of exposure! Just send me an email, write "Nostalgia Bloggista" on the subject line, and you'll soon be featured here on Nostalgia Bloggista!
1. Where did you grow up, and what made that place special?
I grew up in the province – Bataan. I spent the first 6-7 years of my life there, which I consider some of the best times in my life. Times were tough for my mom and dad then. Both of them had to work. My Nanay (grandma), who was a teacher before she married Tatay (a fisherman by trade), took me in. I have always been a Lola's boy. We lived in a nipa hut, which looks like the ones depicted in textbooks. Some of most beautiful things that I remember when I was growing up in Bataan include the following:
* Waking up early in the morning to accompany my Nanay, who went house-to-house to sell the day's catch;
* Riding the "bangka" (small motorized boat) with my favorite uncle, Uncle Nonoy;
* Uncle Nonoy performing his so-called magic tricks. Even I could tell that they were just tricks, but it was the way he delivered each magic act that was memorable. Nakakatawa talaga!;
* Riding my go-kart for almost 1.5 km (with my Uncle Nonoy beside me) to my aunt’s house in Villa Leonor;
* Going to the local fair with my favorite aunt, Aunt May;
* Drinking carabao milk, eating crabs, squids, and "alupihang-dagat";
* Swimming in the ocean with my cousins;
* Tatay trying to teach me the ropes on fishnets!;
* Tatay’s efforts to teach me how to cut my nails using a pair of scissors;
* My collection of crab shells that Tatay himself cleaned for me. Boy! They came in all shapes and sizes!;
* Watching the rain fall from the roof of our neighbor's (Roque) mini-veranda;
* Playing bingo, football, and "shato" (a local game that uses a pair of sticks) with my friends, i.e., Marion, Ibay, Ariel, Victor, Mayette, Rico, Josie, Leumer, Minang, Cathy, Donna, Nova, and Nory.
* The annual Santacruzan;
* My friendship with our neighbors, the Roque kids. The eldest son, Ariel, and the youngest, Victor, became two of my best friends. We were inseparable! The youngest daughter, my first love.
* The affection that I lovingly received from my Tatay and Nanay, and all my uncles and aunts.
2. What was your favorite tv show, cartoon, or children's show growing up? What did you like about these shows that made them your favorite?
I had a lot of favorite tv shows! My interests ranged from cartoons to documentaries. These include:
* The Superfriends (Saturdays, Channel 9)
* Mekanda Robot, Daimos, Mazinger Z, Grendizer, Voltes V (M-F on GMA)
* Candy-Candy (Channel 13)
* Flying House (Channel 7)
* Superbook (Channel 7)
Favorite children’s shows:
* Sesame Street (All-Time Favorite)
* The Electric Co. (Channel 13, I think)
* Wonder Bug (This one rocks!)
Favorite TV shows:
* Charlie's Angels (Channel 7)
* CHiPS (Channel 7)
* The Six-Million Dollar Man (Channel 9)
* Wonder Woman (Channel 9)
* The A-Team (Channel 7)
* The Greatest American Hero (Channel 7)
* Small Wonder (Channel 7)
* The Cosby Show (Channel 7)
* Remington Steele (Channel 7)
* Knight Rider (Channel 7)
* The Equalizer (Channel 7)
* Perfect Strangers (Channel 9 - Hi Balky!)
* Tarzan (Channel 9 or 13?)
* Gillette’s World of Sports (Channel 9)
Favorite Betamax movies:
* The Sound of Music (my kids' favorite too!)
* Mary Poppins
* Star Wars
* Conan the Barbarian
* Conan the Destroyer
* Rocky Series
* The Fly
3. Favorite music group or artist? Most memorable song?
Most Memorable Piano Piece:
* Ballade for Adeline (for my Nanay)
* A Friend (for my Margarita)
* Waltzes – Played the piano from the first grade (elementary) to senior high
Most Memorable Song:
* Total Eclipse of the Heart (theme song, first love naks)
* Somewhere Down the Road (for my Margarita)
Favorite music group/artist:
* Depeche Mode – Somebody; Master and Servant
* Spandau Ballet – Round and Round
* U2 (Loved all the albums!)
* Queen (Loved all their songs!)
* Cat Stevens – Wide World; Father and Son
* Elton John – Skyline Pigeon
* John Lennon - Imagine
* Cory Hart – Never Surrender
* Phil Collins – You Can't Hurry Love
* A-ha - Take on Me; The Sun Always Shines on TV
* Basia – Cruisin’ for Bruisin album
* Tears for Fears – Shout; Everybody Wants to Rule the World
* Dire Straits
* Culture Club
* Air Supply (Loved all their songs)
* The Dawn – Enveloped Ideas, Salamat, Iisang Bangka Tayo
* Rey Valera (Loved all his songs)
4. Share with our readers one of your fondest memories of growing up.
* Growing up under the care of my Nanay, who taught me about the beauty of life. She was also instrumental in my belief that I can be whatever I want to be.
* Annual family vacation in Baguio City.
* Family picnics at the Luneta Park.
* Bike riding with my younger brother.
5. What do you miss from back then that's not available today?
I miss being a kid! No worries in the world! All happiness! On a personal note, I miss my Nanay. If she could just see all her apos now!
More Nostalgia Bloggista: Regie Soriano
Technorati Tags:70s, 80s, blog, nostalgia